Just something I’ve been thinking about quite a bit lately…
My teacher, MC Sweet, shared something with us that her teacher Richard says.
Yoga will Ruin your Life
Pretty much it goes like this- in yoga you start to learn to pay attention to your body, honor yourself, and find gratefulness for where you are and where you can go. Because it is nearly impossible to segment things and isolate lessons from one area of life from another, we start to see things outside the studio in a different way.
- We start to question the foods we use to nourish our bodies.
- We start to wake up early to get some yoga in (or at least we start to think about how awesome it would be to do that).
- We start to question the work we do for a living, or the reasons we stick to work we don’t find pleasure in.
- We start to question the people we spend time with.
- We start to see the tough changes that need to be made, and we start to make those changes.
So in short, things start to snowball and what we learn in yoga just ruins a lot of what we had before. But is that a terrible thing?
In the hindu world the god of destruction is Shiva. He is committed to destroying things that are no longer of purpose, things that no longer serve him. We do this also when we allow yoga into our lives. We destroy old eating patterns. We destroy old friendships that have become more drowning weight than positive lift. We destroy toxic relationships.
But Shiva is not just the god of destruction. He is also the god of creation. The god of destruction is the god of creation? How does that work?
Well, we have to destroy that which doesn’t serve us to make room for things that will serve us. We have to destroy old habits to make room for new habits. We have to destroy old eating patterns to make room for new eating patterns.
Destruction and Creation are part of a circle, both feeding each other. Yin and Yang, Shiva and Shakti, Death and Birth
So yes, Yoga will Ruin your Life. But in doing so, it will make room for a better life. That’s the kind of destruction I can sign up for!